LOVE Beijing

My first impression on Beijing is the strong wind. I hardly made my steps in such " violent " wind. My friends and I were fighting with the wind  while walking back to our apartment. If we are lucky enough to be on the same direction of where the wind blow to, gagagaga, imagine, we walk faster than usual with its help. The weather in Beijing is unpredictable, sunny and foggy, sunny and windy, cloudy and windy................. a lot of varieties ... hmnnnn

Beijing is awesome. For someone like me, who has grown up and live in the city and desired on something which is more cultural, traditional and natural, Beijing is just my place. It is modern and old. The public transport system, subway and buses are very well connected. Cheap and efficient. You will never wait for more than 15 minutes or wait endlessly.

Most foreigners might find the city not friendly as the people can't speak well English. (maybe they don't need to, btw most of the tourists are Chinese- from China gagagaga). But, it is completely perfect for me. I feel close to the city as buildings, signboards, everywhere and everyone uses my mother tongue. I feel gaps because we speak different slang and use different phrases. In their eyes, I am them. But, I am not. It is strange to tell them that I am Malaysian and again and again, for many times, my friends and I explained to them on where and how we learned Mandarin and make them understand multi-ethnicity of Malaysia. The feelings towards Beijing and its people are a mixture of tastes, like cocktail.

They kept me busy there as I helped translating English-Mandarin vice verse for people that I met. Aunty who sold cup noodles to foreigners, youth delegates who wanted to change room, foreigners who didn't understand the tour guide, facilitated group of China youth delegates.... I was fully utilized. gagagaga
Erm, people there are just too use to speak Mandarin and live in their own culture.

Not all people there are polite and organized. Some are really rude and scold you if you ask price, bargain and don't buy. One common and obvious characteristic is that they speak really loud, as if we were deaf :) Anyway, people in Beijing generally is friendly and kind. Yes, this only applies to people in Beijing or from Beijing. I found other people outside Beijing is... x!@#$%%^&

Don't feel bad if someone suddenly speak Mandarin to you very loud as if scolding you when you are lost, need help or on something. They are not scolding, they are trying to help you. Regardless your ethnic, your language, your understanding, they will still speak mandarin to you. gagagagaga

Comments

  1. My friend was born in Peijing and grow up in Tokyo. When she is said "welcome back" in the airport in Peijing and speaks chinese, she feels happy. You know, there are also many chinese in Japan like her. Must be funny if you come to here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Time Traveler's Wife~Book Discussion

Thoughts @ ICAAP

用一杯咖啡的时间 (spend some time drinking coffee with me)