Thoughts on Wealth and Health

When I was in my twenties, I was extremely poor. Paying housing loan and supporting my own living expenses as well as some family expenses and studying at the same time, I needed to save on a lot of things including food. I used to eat lunch at mamak stall. I had roti canai and teh tarik. I didn’t even dare to order something different because it would cost a bit more. When I had lessons at faculty, I ate mix rice without any meat. It would cost less than RM3. For dinner, I ordered home delivery for two but it fed three of us.
This was the time where I experienced hair loss and my facial complexion went bad.

Then, when I graduated and started working full time as tutor, I earned more. I started to buy more nutritious food. I went back to my healthy lifestyle. I went gym. I drank yogurt drink and milk. I got myself fruits, oats and cereals. My mother came home and took care of us. I actually live better but I have never regained my good and smooth facial complexion. Perhaps, the malnutrition phase which I went through caused early skin aging. Anyway I am not sure what would be the consequences of the malnutrition in my twenties to my later life. It could be serious, but I don’t know yet.  

Yes, I agreed that income does affect health. Now, I am more afraid of health affects income. It is more accurate to say, illness affects income. When you fall sick, you are not productive and income will be affected. When you do not have income, it affects your purchasing power and hence you cannot pursue a better lifestyle with good and healthy food (even medical treatment). However if you have accumulated a lot of income before falling sick, you might not experience the same. You might be able to survive through the period of sickness and continue living healthily and better after that. 

Thus balancing between health and wealth seeking is important.

P/s: Why do I spend time on work that do not bring money? I could fall into the trap on wealth and health again. Think about your twenties. Anyway, balancing between work passion and money is another issue to discuss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Time Traveler's Wife~Book Discussion

Thoughts @ ICAAP

用一杯咖啡的时间 (spend some time drinking coffee with me)